PREP TIME 15 MINUTES
COOK TIME 25 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME 40 MINUTES
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 lbs Russet Potatoes
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, sharp
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 stick of butter
- Carefully peel skin off potatoes, then dice potatoes to about 1 inch thickness
- Peel and dice garlic cloves and onion
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add broth to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender. Be sure to stir soup occasionally while cooking.
- Once potatoes are tender, stir in milk and shredded cheese. Continue cooking until soup begins to bubble again. Remove pot from heat.
- Serve with toppings such as cooked bacon, sour cream, and green onion, if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe Notes Recipe adapted from www.recipelion.com